Pitreavie Golf Club opens new facility as part of centenary year

HISTORICAL links with the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust came to the fore as a West Fife golf club continued their centenary celebrations.

Pitreavie Golf Club, which opened officially on June 17 1922, teed up a new outdoor seating area, overlooking the course, after the trust pitched in with some grant funding.

The ‘centenary deck’, which is complete with Pitreavie’s new logo to mark their 100-year anniversary, will provide members with a permanent nod to the club’s milestone.

Pitreavie, who hosted ‘centenary ball’ at the Glen Pavilion on Saturday, have had a busy year of events to mark its landmark, and were delighted the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust played a part.

The land upon which the course, which was designed by internationally-renowned architect Dr Alister MacKenzie, who is famous for drawing up the blueprint for Augusta National, home of the US Masters, sits was bought by the trust in 1949, before being given in trust to the club.

Ewan Cameron, Pitreavie’s current vice-captain, and chairperson of their centenary sub-committee, explained that the COVID-19 pandemic had highlighted the little outdoor space they had – and set the ball rolling for the project.

“It has always been our intention to put down some kind of marker for the centenary as part of the year’s celebrations, that something could also be a fixture and be relevant moving forward,” he said.

The idea of ​​building that (the decking) out, and calling it the centenary deck, we started to float that idea. We settled on it, we started to explore the financials of it, we could just about afford it, but not quite. We certainly couldn’t finish it the way we wanted.

“The trust was fully supportive of the venture to build a course here in the first place.

“The association goes the full 100 years so it’s really nice to mark that association as part of our centenary year as well.”

Captain Barry Hynd commented: “It had to be something that would stand the test of time, and be usable by the members to the benefit of the club, and that’s exactly what it is.”

Gillian Taylor, CEO of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, said: “When the club approached us, we looked back at our minutes, and it’s a long history between the trust and the club.

“The trust actually bought the land in the ’40s, and then gave it to the golf club to provide a golf club here, so it’s lovely we’ve got that heritage, and we can still have that relationship going forward.”

Danny McArthur, sports convenor with the trust, added: “We don’t just give money to anybody; there’s got to be a real need and benefit to doing that.

“The benefit that I think this space is going to bring is that it will bring more revenue to the club and make it more sustainable.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Abbeyfeale Golf Club