Portland, Ore. – Carlos Armendariz pulled California State University, Bakersfield within a goal late in the first half, but #14 Portland held on for a 2-1 win in front of an announced crowd of 1010 at the Clive Charles Soccer Complex, Friday evening. The Pilots scored goals in the 22ndn.d and 24Th minutes to grab an early lead and never trailed despite a strong second-half push from the Roadrunner attack.
“Really encouraged with how our lads stuck to a game plan and committed everything they had to this performance,” said CSUB Head Coach Richie Grant. “This is the type of game that will undoubtedly help us later in the season.”
* Kevin Bonilla gave Portland the game’s first goal in the 22ndn.d minute, finishing a well-executive give and go with Sebastian Nava, with a quick flick off the outside of his left foot inside the far post and past a diving Filippo Dadone.
* Gurman Sangha doubled the Pilots’ lead just two minutes later with a sliding finish at the back post. Brandon Cambridge started the play with a low cross through the Bakersfield defense.
* The Roadrunners pulled within one in the final minute of the first half when Rene Cortez’ header off a corner kick was heading wide until Carlos Armendariz got his toe on the ball, redirecting it inside the near post to make it 2-1 Portland.
* The Pilots held a 7-3 advantage in shots and a 4-1 margin in corners during the first half. Dadone made three saves, while Portland’s George Tasouris stopped one shot in the frame.
* Bilal Mihoubi sailed a great chance over the bar in the opening moments of the second half, following an abbreviated 2-0 break for the ‘Runners after a Portland turnover at midfield.
* Filippo Dadone made four second half saves in a scoreless 45 minutes. The two teams each took eight shots in the frame.
* Carlos Armendariz’ goal was his team-leading second of the season and the 10Th of his CSUB career.
* Filippo Dadone finished with seven saves in the Bakersfield goal, one shy of his season high.
* Juan Pablo Alvarez, Rene Cortez, Harry Downing, Andres Perez De Gracia and Conor Walsh were booked with yellows for Bakersfield. Downing’s card was his fourth yellow of the season.
* Portland was the opponent in Bakersfield’s first-ever game at the Division I level. The Roadrunners won that game 2-1 in overtime at the 2007 Nike Portland Invitational on Aug. 31.
* Friday night’s contest was CSUB’s first against a ranked opponent, since a 2-1 loss last August 29, at Grand Canyon. The Runners’ last win over a ranked foe came on Oct. 5, 2018, at The Main Soccer Field in a 1-0 decision over Air Force.
CSUB returns home to begin Big West Conference play on Wednesday, Sept. 28, with an Education Day matinee against Sacramento State. The contest kicks off at 11 am, with tickets still available on GoRunners.com/Tickets or by calling 661.654.Blue. The Roadrunners beat the Hornets 2-0 in Sacramento a season ago.